Series: Rock Chick #5
on April 18, 2013
Also in this series: Rock Chick, Rock Chick Rescue, Rock Chick Redemption, Rock Chick Renegade, Rock Chick Reckoning, Rock Chick Regret, Rock Chick Revolution
Ava hates men, she has reason and she’s vowed not only never to get involved with another one again but also to exact vengeance on her best friend’s, lying, cheating husband. Since Luke, Ava’s childhood crush, is now a private investigator, she thinks to enlist him but changes her mind at the last second.
Too late, Luke knows she’s up to something and he’s already seen many a Rock Chick try to fight her own battles without the Hot Bunch stepping in. He’s having none of it. She’s having none of him. The clash of the Rock Chick and Hot Guy begins but Luke’s got the advantage. He has handcuffs and he’s not afraid to use them.
Also by this author: Mystery Man, Knight, Wild Man, Sweet Dreams, Lady Luck, Breathe, Law Man, Motorcycle Man, Jagged, Kaleidoscope, The Gamble, Rock Chick, Rock Chick Rescue, Rock Chick Redemption, Rock Chick Renegade, Rock Chick Reckoning, Rock Chick Regret, Rock Chick Revolution
Oh boy, here we go again!
I must start by saying I’ve been waiting for Luke’s story for some time now. I had a “crush” on him from at least two books ago, so I hope you can understand why I’m beyond ecstatic now.
Again, if this is not your first Kristen Ashley’s book and especially not your first Rock Chick Series book, you know the drill: we’ll have a new Rock Chick in trouble to join the gang, the whole Nightingale badass alpha-males at her back to protect her, while one of them claims her as his woman in the blink of the eye. She, of course, will fight the attraction (read insta-love, insta-lust, insta-oh-my-God-i-love-you), saying things like “I’ve sworn off men”, “I’m not moving in with you”, “I hate you”, “I’m not going to sleep with you”, but all this will happen and she won’t even know what hit her.
I knew I was gonna enjoy this, but it keeps gettin’ better and better.”
Rock Chick #5 is about my Luke and Ava. They’ve known each other since she was 8 years old and he moved across the street from her and she’s been in love with him from the very first moment she saw him.
Let me tell you a little bit about Ava.
As a kid I was fat, four-eyed and had mousy brown hair. Now, I was seventy-five pounds lighter, wearing contacts and had my hair streaked blonde.”
She had two other older bitch sisters, better looking than her. She met Luke five year ago at his Dad’s funeral. When she paid him her condolences and they hugged, she heard her bitch sisters making fun of her and her weight, saying things like “I think I threw up a little looking at them. He could barely get his arms around her”. That was her final straw, so she turned her life around (ignored Luke’s 5 phone calls after the funeral – they were supposed to meet for drinks) and lost weight and became a new Ava, much more confident and basically a knockout, as Luke called her.
With her “partial bombshell status” she had three really bad experiences with men: one cheated on her repeatedly, one was obsessed with porn and the other stole all her money and jewelry. Her dad left her mom long time ago, her sisters were married to major slimeballs and “bestest best friend in world”, Sissy was married to another major shithead. So our Ava vowed her life devotion to her vibrators and decided she was never ever going to “get tangled with another man again, no matter who, no matter what.”
Now, after Sissy’s husband forced himself on her, she and her best friend decided to find some dirt on him, so that can Sissy can file for divorce. The good part about all this is that Ava went to Nightingale office to try to speak to Luke and ask him for help. Do you know what this means? No? Shirleen will tell you:
I’ll put money down that she’s living with him in four days.”
Unfortunately, before getting the chance to ask him for help, they got into a bit of an argument, with Luke saying:
You waltz in here after five years, not lookin’ like you, not actin’ like you, jittery and bitchy, somethin’ I never would have expected from you. You lie through your teeth then stare at my mouth like you want to stick my tongue down my throat, and when I’m ready to give you the opportunity, you go back to bitchy and lying.”
Actually, this is something I didn’t understand, nor liked about Ava. Why the bitchy attitude? Ok, you don’t want another man to play with your heart, but do you really need to be a bitch about it? Hmph.
Anyways, since she didn’t ask Luke for help, she went alone at night to Dom’s and Sissy’s house to try and find something to help in the divorce. She didn’t find anything useful, but Luke found her there, shielded her body from a ton of bullets that were flying around Dom’s living room and that’s how the fun part starts.
Learning for the other guys’ experiences, he didn’t take any chance of losing her, so he cuffed his right wrist to Ava’s left one and took her back to his place. He cuffed her to the bed, gave her one of tshirts and tried to catch some sleep next to her. Next day, Luke will explain:
Ava, you missed it when it happened so I’ll clue you in. Last night, around the time you fell asleep against me, you became mine.”
Now, after being kidnapped twice in two days and shot at, Ava moves in with Luke (not after being cuffed again). Luke, the badass that he is, straight talker like all the others before him and knowing exactly what he wants, he starts expressing his feelings on us. Hold tight:
You’re moving in, end of discussion. Second, I want you in my bed. I want you to look at me the way you looked at me after our first kiss, but I want you to do it when my cock is buried inside you.”
The next part you pay is letting me cuff you naked to my bed and you stay that way while I eat you ‘till you come, and then fuck you ‘till you come again.”
Now, do you get why I’ve been waiting for Luke? After he flirted merciless with Hank’s Roxie and Vance’s Jules, it’s so fun to watch his having his own woman to protect, charm, love and rip her clothes off.
Things I loved about this book:
1. Good Ava, Bad Ava. This is one of funniest parts of the book – Ava’s internal blabbering, contestant dialog between her “Good Ava” and her “Bad Ava” always whispering in her ears.
2. The bet everyone plays: how long before they have sex.
“See, Lee nailed Indy the first night they were together. Not nailed her nailed her, but she was in his bed. Eddie, with Jet, it took a few days. Hank and Roxie, like a day. Vance, like three, but Jules was a virgin and he had to interrupt the festivities once to go out and shoot someone.”
3. Luke calling her a liar. This is good, trust me. He sees right through her and doesn’t let anything come between them.
You wanna taste me?” he murmered.
Yes, I wanted to taste him. I would pay every penny of Aunt Ella’s inheritance to taste him.
“No,” I lied.
He did a full grin this time, a full satisfied grin. It was hot, so hot my knees totally buckles and he took all my weight into his body.
“Liar,” he whispered, knowing he had me.”
4. Luke having no filter, being a dirty talker, total Badass.
You lick your lips while looking at my mouth one more time, you’ll find that pretty tongue of yours in my mouth.”
5. Luke looking at Ava like she was his “lunch and he missed breakfast and dinner.”
6. Luke being super honest.
I might like it for a week or I might like it for a lot longer. I can’t make any promises. All I know is, I want you now and you want me, even though you won’t admit it. And I’m gonna do whatever it takes to give us what we want for as long as it lasts until however it ends.”
7. Duke’s moment of honesty. They happen in all books and it’s one of my favorite parts.
Things I didn’t like about it.
1. Each Rock Chick so far tried to fight their attraction towards every one of the Hot Boy Brigade. This is getting a little bit old and frustrating, especially when we know that Ava, for example, has been in love with Luke for twenty years. Why fight it? Why acting like a bitch? Why keep declaring you hate him, when we also see you melting in his arms? I’m starting to hate this.
2. Ava declaring she’s scared and she doesn’t want to be in a relationship with Luke because of his job/lifestyle. Really?
3. View Spoiler »[Ava breaking her own heart (and mine for that matter) thinking Luke is actually in love with someone else, while he’s fucking her. Oh, at some point she even thought Jules’s pregnant with Luke’s baby. « Hide Spoiler You can’t be that stupid, seriously.
4. Ava View Spoiler »playing with fire with Ren. Giving him mixed signals. What was that at Stella’s concert? How can you relax in another man’s arms? « Hide Spoiler Totally not cool, especially when you have a guy like Luke.
5. Ava being clueless. Almost all Rock Chicks so far have been somehow clueless and they refused to believe that a hot guy could fall for them. Again, this lack of self confidence is getting really old and stupid. I’m the queen of lacking self confidence, but I don’t think I would be that blind.
6. View Spoiler »Ava! Again! She fantasized about having sex with Ren. OMG! Really? Ok, I know Ren was hot and a good guy, but being in a relationship with Super Awesome LUKE!!!! there’s no way you could ever think about another man. Not to mention this is the worst kind of slutty a woman can be, in my opinion. You can admit he’s hot, but thinking about having sex with him it’s too much. « Hide Spoiler
7. Ava answering the phone with “Yo”. What’s that about?
Even if there’s a long list of things I didn’t like, this book deserves 5★ because overall it’s awesome, fun and full of action. There’s no way you won’t enjoy the Rock Chick gang and the Hot Boy Brigade. The family of friends it keeps growing with every book and as I said, it gets getting better and better.
Definitely a “must read”, so don’t miss out. Go and buy the book now!